2017 "Concept to Company" Outdoor Rec Innovation Contest$27K Contest for Outdoor Rec Startups
C2C Outdoor Rec ’17
The 2017 Outdoor Rec “Concept to Company” Contest took place from Aug-Oct 2017. It was for new and innovative outdoor recreation products or services and meant to encourage and support Utah’s Outdoor Rec innovators with the intent of helping them turn their concepts into a company. The contest was a great success with many qualified entrants and awesome winners selected. See below for a list of winners, finalists, photos and more.
Sign-Up to be notified about contest updates or other innovation contests. (No spam. We promise!)
RUNNER UP: ISO Goggles
ISO Goggles: Developed by students at the University of Utah. Iso Goggles is a plastic and goggle structure that permanently resists fogging. Can be used in swim, snow sport, safety goggles, and potentially lab equipment
What They Won
- Cash (NorthFront Entrepreneur Alliance): $10,000 ($5K Grand Prize; $2500 Each Runner-Up)
- Business Consulting Services (Grow Utah): $3,000 ($1K for each winner)
- Outdoor Product Marketing Services (High Mountain Marketing): $2,000 ($1K Grand Prize; $500 Each Runner-Up)
- Printed Promotional Items (Athletic Event Supply): $1,100 (10’x10′ Printed Promo Canopy for Grand Prize; Pop-Up Promo Banner Flags for Each Runner Up)
- Product Fulfillment Services (IFS360): $5000 ($3K Grand Prize; $1K Each Runner-Up)
- Financial Management Services/Bookeeping (Advanced CFO): $6000 ($3K Grand Prize ; $1500 Each Runner-Up)
- TOTAL: $27,100! ($13,780 Grand Prize; $6,660 Each Runner-Up)
- ISO Goggles – A plastic and goggle structure that permanently resists fogging. Can be used in swim, snow sports, safety goggles, and potentially lab equipment.
- The Chameleon Sit System – The Chameleon is an innovative backpack that allows easy access to all your gear and also transforms into a chair. More info….
- SNO-GO – A sport device that merges skiing with downhill mountain biking. The familiar motions of mountain-bike riding are paired with snow skis designed for all types of snow conditions, creating an experience for riders of any skill level. More info….
- Baby Basecamp – Baby Basecamp is a portable nursery for active, on the go families that allows parents to enjoy getting outdoors without the pain of their child missing nap time.
- SNOW-C by Waves – SNOW-C is an outdoor jacket that lets you wirelessly charge your phone in your pocket. More info…
- DRIFT Boards – A snow travel tool that combines the best of backcountry touring skis and snowshoes to make traveling in the snow simpler and more efficient. More info….
- Trailhead Pants by Coalatrree – The Trailhead pants are stain proof, waterproof, durable, packable, and versatile. Making them the ultimate everyday mountain to city pant. More info…
- FitWhisk – The FitWhisk is a sports drink bottle with turbine technology that uses a vortex mixing action to improve the consumer’s health & comfort when consuming nutritional supplements. More Info…
- The SHEL by Khione Outdoor Gear – An innovative, ultralight shelter to slip over hammocks that protects from all weather conditions and replaces other gear. More info…
General Eligibility Requirements. See Official Rules for Complete Details (Link coming soon)
- Entries must be for a product or service suited for outdoor recreation activities including hiking, biking, camping, hunting, fishing, snow sports, paddlesports, watersports, shooting sports, golf or other outdoor recreation sports.
- The product or service innovation must have been in the market (sales transactions) for less than 1 year. Any innovation that was sold before July 1st 2016 is not eligible. A “new version” of an existing innovation is acceptable as long as it is fundamentally different than the previous versions and the “new version” has still only been on the market for less than a year.
- Open to all Utah residents and small businesses with under $5M in annual revenues.
- Click here to see all other rules: Official Rules
"Your competition was a vehicle to keep my dream alive and was such a phenomenal experience! The C2C Competition was the perfect avenue to hone in on my focus and vision for the project. I was able to sharpen so many skills: pitching, presenting, creating compelling presentations, and networking. There were so many great opportunities to connect and network with fellow developers, investors and entrepreneurs. The level of professionalism was also impressive. The judges gave valuable feedback on things I had not thought of and has helped me since. I was so honored and humbled by this experience."
"Thank you for a marvelous experience & opportunity. It is so nice to know there is an organization out there supporting innovation and development of great ideas. Your program (Concept to Company) was such a boost to me. I understand how hard it is to not only get others to “understand” an idea, but to actually support it. In a world where the inventor is discarded so easily, your organization really has given me renewed faith that there are still those that recognize the innovator!"